If the comments on blogs, new commentaries and news articles are any indication, I believe we are reaching a turning point in understanding of the effects of Traumatic Brain Injury (“TBI”) and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (“CTE”).
Comments on blogs and news articles have been very respectful and somber with most NFL supporters and fans suggesting that the football game would have to change for it to survive. Strategy and tactics would need to be emphasized instead of brute strength.
Here are more links and extracts of comments that give me hope that the public is gradually beginning to understand the implications of TBI and CTE. I just wish that Junior Seau, Ray Easterling, Dave Duerson and Mike Webster did not have to die for there to be a change in the way TBI and CTE is viewed and treated.
It is important that providers, friends , co-workers and family are not dismissive of the concerns of TBI and CTE sufferers. The ultimate result is the sufferers’ early death when they see no other way out of their predicament. However, there are ways that one can cope with the effects of TBI and CTE.
Coping and Living with TBI and CTE — I have pages on this blog with information on Brain Injury resources and suggestions on how to live with TBI. Please share the blog with anyone that you know that can benefit from this information.
Here are some comments and links
#1: “I rotated through the VA Hospital as part of my training and this is the problem with our servicemen coming back from Iraq. They were being diagnosed with PTSD because of depression and suicidal ideation. However, the actual problem was actually TBI from exposure to road side blasts. Trust me when you see patients like this, you wish they would speak up sooner rather than later because the end result is by no means pretty at all.” Source: http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/110357-Colt-just-got-some-help?goto=nextoldest
- Junior Seau’s family consents to brain study, chaplain says (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Report: Seau’s family to allow researchers to study his brain (boston.com)
- Doctors to examine brain of NFL legend Junior Seau (fox6now.com)
- Seau family to allow concussion study of brain (espn.go.com)
- Doctors to Examine Junior Seau’s Brain (fox8.com)
- Comments on blogs and news articles! (brainhealthresources.wordpress.com)
- My comments about Junior Seau’s suicide! (brainhealthresources.wordpress.com)
- There is Help for Battered Athletes and TBI patients! (brainhealthresources.wordpress.com)
- Crisp: Football taking a toll on health (vcstar.com)